Friday, January 16, 2009

Naomi is getting Sisterlocks

I’ve posted before about our braiding experiences ~ it's just not that nostalgic mother-daughter bonding time that that I’ve read about in folk literature. It is more a time of impatience, short tempers, fussing, and scowling -- from both of us. Every weekend we would struggle over when to do hair, how to do hair, and more often than I would like to admit we would just skip it and go for the puffy bun. Not that it didn’t look just cuter than cute - the first day. But it succumbs to the fuzzies by Day 2 and even my best attempt at small braids would last a week at most. I refuse to surrender to chemicals … although on Christmas eve day I did give in and use a flat iron to straighten her hair. On top of the fact that it took 3-1/2 hours to do, it looked only “okay” the first day - though she liked it - and less than okay until we got back to doing something else the next week. Thankfully she was not in school and we have allot of headbands.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I happened to run into another family with two Ethiopian daughters and their hair was adorable. When I asked how they had it done, the answer was Sisterlocks! It sounded vaguely familiar and I rushed to do my research.

Sisterlocks is a patented technique of “locking” the hair into small tendrils. “Sisterlocks allows the hair's natural interlocking process to unfold, they are true ‘locks'. This means that they are not meant to be undone.” It is quite time-consuming and costly to put in, but then only need to be tightened every 6-8 weeks. In the interim, hair is much easier to style, manage, and maintain. It also encourages faster growth and looks marvelous! Both Naomi and Mom are very excited.

We will have a new blog -- Naomi’s Sisterlocks -- to track her progress and see how it evolves as her hair grows and she experiments with different styles. It will be linked to this blog page as well.

Here's some random photos of hair over the past 9 months ...










1 comment:

Lory Howlett said...

I think she looks great with all of the styles, but I can't wait to see the sisterlocks! Amelia is just one year old, but I know I will have to tackle the hair thing one day!

Thanks for the step-by-step regarding social security, citizenship, etc. Amelia's passport is on its way to us, but I need to address the other pieces this year.

You may not remember us--we have two older daughters, and we sat across from you at the Habesha Restaurant dinner back in January 2008.

God bless!
Lory Howlett and family
www.thehowletts5.blogspot.com