Sunday, September 30, 2007

Adoption Fundraising

Update 4/29/08: Raised ........ $ 10,545!!!

Update 3/6/08: This post was temporarily suspended pending court approval in compliance with Ethiopian protocol.
_____________________________________________________

"Giving is the best way of living."

I'm officially kicking off my fundraising campaign, and I have to say it is an uncomfortable endeavor. I truly love to give, but when it comes to asking for help ... not so much. But in the words of one of the social workers I spoke with early in this process "If you think you are going to do this by yourself, you are being very selfish."

So I'm taking a breath, humbling myself and stepping out in yet another leap of faith ... that others will be blessed by the opportunity to give, as I would be if it were someone else asking. Many families embark on this journey with nothing at all and trust God to provide for all of it! I admire their courage and faith. My personal goal is through grants and donations to raise around half of the $25-30K (See my blog sidebar for a breakdown of costs) required to bring my two children home from Ethiopia.


Can you help?

If it is on your heart to help me build a family and give these kids a better life or you have a heart for children and orphans or you would like to give to an organization where you know where your money goes or you just need an end of the year tax break ... here are three ways to do it:

1). Founding Family Charitable Foundation:
I have partnered with Founding Family Charitable Foundation to make your donation tax-deductible.

To donate:

Click on the link above and select "How to Give" on the left-hand side of the page, or just look for the "Donate Now" heart. You may donate by American Express (see option #2), Paypal, or mail a check directly to:

Founding Family Charitable Foundation
1004 Rodney Drive
Nashville, TN 37205-1018

Please put my full name in the comment field on your check -- if you need my full name, just leave a comment on this post and I will email it to you.
For credit card or online donations, identify my account by sending an email including both my full name and your name to Nina Ottinger, Grant Administrator at ninaottinger@comcast.net.

Please call 615.620.4348 if you would like further information. A general acknowledgment letter of thanks will be sent, unless you specify otherwise.

2). GivingExpress Program from American Express:
* Donate Membership Rewards Points - or -
* Your dollar donations are tax-deductible.

To donate:

Click on the link above and select "Contribute Now" on the left-hand side of the page.

Step 1: In the Non-profit Name or Keywords field, enter "founding family charitable"

Step 2: Select "Founding Family Charitable Foundation" from the list
Step 3: Click "Donate Now" to Donate Dollars or scroll down to Redeem Membership Rewards Points. Please note that there will be an administrative fee of 2.25% taken from your donation to cover processing costs.

Send an email to Nina Ottinger, Grant Administrator at ninaottinger@comcast.net, stating you made an American Express donation and include both my full name and your name.


3). PRAY! Your prayers are the best gift I could ask for ...
Pray that the adoption process itself goes smoothly. Pray that God brings me children who are healthy, kind and loving, with a willingness to learn and a heart to love Jesus. Pray that I am a good parent, and have patience and wisdom. I know that He has the perfect child(ren) picked out for me, but it is driving me crazy not knowing! I am requesting two siblings between the ages of five and nine. Please pray that He reveals them to me soon. But most of all pray that every decision and step of this process is in perfect keeping with His Divine will.

My sincere and gracious thanks to each and every one of you. I know that you will be mightily blessed, as am I.

In Christ,
Nancy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Nancy,

I just read this message, posted by a staff member at the adoption agency I used, on an Ethiopian adoption list. Then I saw the photos of your beautiful kids on your site. Since court hasn't happened for you yet, you might want to read this and maybe reconsider leaving their beautiful photos up until they are legally yours:
"I had an interesting phone call this morning and thought it was a good idea to share this information with you. A woman called who was working with one of the newer agencies working in Ethiopia. Apparently she has a
blog on which she was doing an adoption fundraiser and she put a picture of the kids they were adopting (before the court date). Someone reported her blog to the Embassy in Addis, and an officer (an Ethiopian gentleman) from
the Embassy called the adoption agency and told them this family would never be able to adopt from Ethiopia now because they had broken the rules by putting a picture on the internet and also because they did not feel that
they could support a child since they were fundraising to pay for her adoption. They told her that an adoption would not be approved for this family for any child through any adoption agency in Ethiopia. The agency did call the embassy directly to ensure that they were not being pranked or
anything, and were given the same information. I guess they also took offense at some of the things the family said on the blog in regards to the "bleak future" for orphans in Ethiopia, etc. The Embassy threatened to revoke the agency's license, but they were just given a warning."

I would hate to see the same happen to you, so I thought I'd pass it along.

Best wishes,
Elisabeth Hunt
single mom to Henry Yesuneh, born 11/05, home forever 6/07
http://www.minneapolistkd.org/henry.htm
elisabeth @ hunt . org

Anonymous said...

Thanks Elisabeth! My agency concurs and I have removed the photos (and names) for now. There will be plenty of time to show off once they are home.