Monday, September 24, 2007

My Journey Begins

Once the seed of adoption was planted, it began to rapidly grow. I began my research and found I was not too old, but really just squeaking under the wire for the age requirements for many programs. I decide to proceed carefully, but quickly in determining an agency and program. My heart has always been drawn to Africa so choosing a continent was easy, and after being led to Ethiopia and learning about this proud and ancient culture, it became crystal clear that was the country I needed to focus on. God truly has planted a passion for that area of the world in my heart. (See my blog sidebar "Why Ethiopia").

After considering various agencies I settled upon Christian World Adoption, for their experience in my country of choice, professional credentials, and Christian based philosophies. A mishap or two in their past had led to some bad press, but I spoke with many references, past clients, and staff and am comfortable with the circumstances surrounding those situations. I am happy with my choice thus far. Everyone is kind, helpful, responsive, and most of all interested in God's will for both the adoptive parents and especially the children.

Somewhere along the line in those early days of walking in obedience, the vision of one child became two. For a new, older, single mom that idea still often terrifies me. And there are pros & cons of both adopting one child or a sibling group of two, but I feel so lead to pursue two children. It has been the topic of much prayer! As with the entire process (and my life) I am ultimately leaving the size of my family up to God and will be thrilled with however He decides to unfold this "adventure for a lifetime."

No comments: