Monday, September 24, 2007

The Prayer of Jabez

I had been praying the prayer of Jabez every day for about two months:

"And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying,

'Oh, that you would bless me indeed,
and enlarge my territory,
that Your hand would be with me,
and that You would keep
me from evil,
that I may not cause pain!'

So God granted him what he requested.
"


~ 1 Chronicles 4:10

I wanted to be blessed - who doesn't? - but more than that I wanted God to enlarge my territory, my work for Him, my purpose in Christ. I wondered what it would be ... would He have me witness more, serve my church in a greater capacity ...

As I went about my days I realized that in my mind's eye, I was seeing a child at my side. He was with me as I went about the house, watched a movie, shopped for groceries, and especially worshipping and singing praises to God in church. I was amused. It was a pleasant thought. Then the words formed in my consciousness, "you need to adopt this child." What? That can't be. I've given up on motherhood. I'm too old, don't have enough money, too selfish and far too set in my ways! And single for goodness sakes! But the thoughts persisted.

So, I thought I'd run this "idea" by a few friends; they'd set me straight. But they didn't! "What a wonderful thing! I'm 100% behind you." WOW! Could I really adopt a child? Could I really fulfill my almost forgotten desire to be a mother? But where did this "crazy" thought come from? Suddenly it dawned upon me ... the Jabez prayer! God in His mysterious ways was asking me to enlarge my territory in a way I would never have dreamed! I thought about other prayers I had been praying and the far different answers I had imagined. But this one leap of faith ... this bringing a child into my life provides an unexpected and delightful answer to so many requests I had held up to our wise & wonderful Lord.

The journey begins ...

(taken from my back yard on August 17, 2007)

No comments: