Friday, November 23, 2007

So what happens now, you may ask? ...

Well ... I filed my I-600A immigration form and was fingerprinted on 11/14/07. They are saying in Colorado it is taking around two months to get the I-171H approval back. So that should happen around mid-January 2008.

In the meantime, with my home study complete and approved, my dossier is now complete as well! Yeah!!! The dossier - a bundle of paperwork more precious than gold due to the hours of labor it takes to compile all the many forms, official copies, and endless details - then needs to be authenticated by the U.S. Department of State in Washington D.C. and after that by the Ethiopian Embassy. One can mail their bundle and hope for the best, or use a courier service, who will hand carry your paperwork to the U.S. Department of State, wait for it, and then trot it over to the Ethiopian Embassy, wait for it (or return on an assigned day), and then use your prepaid envelope to return the completed package to your agency. I chose to do the later. I used The Assistant Stork, and was pleased with their service. I sent my package via FedEx on Friday, and it was authenticated and in my agencies hands by Wednesday. It will then be sent off to Ethioipia to await the arrival of the I-171H immigration approval.

Based on the experience of other adopting parents, I estimate having a court date around six weeks after both the dossier and immigration form have been received in Ethiopia. So maybe late February or early March. We hear that it is another 4-6 weeks after that to travel (though some web postings say as little as three weeks!) making my trip to the ancient and fascinating land of Ethiopia to pick up my angels in late March or early April of 2008. Just over eight months from the day I sent in my application!!! WOW!

No comments: