Monday, January 14, 2008

Thinking about names

I've been really thinking about names. Earlier I talked about changing my last name to my children's Ethiopian surname (see Josiah & Naomi posted 11/27/07), which according to their traditions is their father's first name. I wanted to honor their heritage and family. But the more I talk to people and the more I think about it, I am now leaning again towards giving them my last name instead. There are many reasons, but I have given it much thought and prayer and it seems like the better decision. So I am a bit reluctantly, but peacefully letting go of that desire.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like your original idea. It allows you to share apart of their original culture, which is balanced--in comparison to the cultural adjustments your children have probably had to make.